As a volunteer organization we are dependent on everyone to get the work done. We thank you for your willingness to help support the TADAMS community in this way. The more we can share the responsibilities, the more we can prevent burnout in our dance community.
Take a minute to look over these guidelines for the host. Hosting will not take your entire night, and help is available for the first-time host.
FYI – The sound person has the keys and usually arrives between 60-90 minutes before the dance starts (either ~6:30 for Saturday dances or ~1pm for Sunday dances) and will unlock the doors.
WHEN YOU ARRIVE: Plan to arrive around around an hour before the dance (6:30pm for Saturday dances and ~1pm for Sunday dances). Set up includes: Water coolers, easel with welcome sign, card table, & the money box.
- Set up the refreshment area
– Fill the orange water coolers with ice and water. Ice is available in the kitchen on the first floor.
– Set out the cups and marking pens (so that cups can be marked for re-use).
– Make sure that a trashcan is available near the water coolers. Extra liners are in the supply closet.
- Set up a table for flyers
– Display the available literature from the supply closet. If you have time, discard any outdated flyers.
– Place a few dance cards and membership forms on the admissions table.
- Set up the easel and welcome sign in the lobby to welcome those entering LGRA building.
- Set up the admissions table. The card table is in the
– Sign with admission prices.
– Money box. There should be $50 in the box. Count the change to verify and record the amount on the TADAMS Dance Expense Sheet.
– Sign-up sheet with a pen for helpers to collect admission money during the dance.
- Introduce yourself to the band and caller. Tell them that you will be the one paying them, and ask whom to pay at the end of the evening. You may want to check with the caller to agree upon a time for announcements.
- Be at the admission table before the dance to take money. ASK people to sign up to take turns sitting at the admissions table. YOU ARE NOT EXPECTED TO SIT OUT MORE THAN ONE DANCE.
DURING THE DANCE: Keep an eye on the admissions table through out the dance. There is a sign-up sheet for others to take turns, but make sure that the person who signed up has arrived on time. The table should not be unattended during the first half of the dance.
We usually have announcements soon before the break, which include:
1) Introducing the band and caller,
2) Announcing the next dance,
3) Reminding newcomers that their 2nd dance is free and 4) Inviting dancers to help close down for the evening (A closing down sign-up sheet is available.) If you are uncomfortable giving announcements, please ask a board member or another dancer to do this.
AT THE BREAK : Have someone at the table during the break. Full payment is expected from anyone arriving at the break.
AFTER THE BREAK: Leave the “Honor Pay” sign and basket on the table. Take the money box to the supply closet.
Shortly after the break, count the admissions money and complete the TADAMS Dance Expense Sheet.
Set aside the amounts to be paid to the band members, caller, and sound person (instructions are on the expense sheet) Write checks if needed and record amounts and payees on the Dance Expense sheet. (Wendy & Robert Linkous or Sam Abrash can sign checks if they are needed.)
Return $50 to the money box (leave as many ones as possible). Questions? Sam Abrash (804-363-2597), Robert Linkous (804-895-4574), Wendy Linkous (804-380-9784) or any available board member.
If anyone chooses to join TADAMS, make sure they fill out a membership form. Keep membership funds separate on the Dance Expense Sheet.
Place admissions and membership payments with the completed expense report in a manila envelope and hand to Robert or Wendy Linkous, or leave it in the front pocket of the Host Binder.
AFTER THE DANCE: Ask folks to help: they will help if you ask.
- Pay the band and the caller and the sound person.
– Be ready to pay the band and caller as soon as the last waltz is over.
- Clean off the refreshment table.
– Empty the coolers. Store them in the supply closet with the lids off.
- Put things away
– Put the literature and the items from the admissions table back into the supply closet.
– Bring the welcome sign and easel back upstairs. Store in the supply closet.
- Pick up any litter and/or abandoned items. Abandoned items are hung on the security gate at the entrance of the supply closet.
- Sweep the floor.
- Take the liner out of the trashcans, set up the can with a fresh liner. Collect the trash from the bathrooms. Can liners should be available on top of the ice machine in the kitchen. Leave the trash in the trash area on the Walton Ave. side of the building.
- The sound person will take care of the lights and locking up.